In 1865, France built the first generation of French Consulate in Hankou with office premises as well as consular residences in two-storey brick and wood structure.
The former premises consist in 2-storey Kunwald building with brick walls. The ground floor serves as office room and the second floor as dwelling houses. The building has an arc gallery and well-pillar gate at entrance. In 1891, Hankou suffered from the Yangtze River flooding and the first generation of the French Consulate was hereby destroyed. In 1892, France built the second generation of premises in the original location in two-storey brick & wood structure, which still exist.